Parkside school is continuing the development of its careers programme as it completes the rigorous application to achieve the highly prestigious "Quality in Careers Standard".
When a school achieves the standard, it is a national recognition that it provides its students with careers support of the very best quality.
To achieve our national quality award, schools and colleges submit their CEIAG programme for rigorous external assessment and accreditation by the Licensed Awarding Body. The assessment is made against national standards, which fully incorporate the Gatsby Benchmarks for "Good Careers Guidance" by an expert CEIAG assessor who is independent from the school or college.
Guide to the Standard.
The Quality in Careers Standard requires schools and colleges to demonstrate that their careers programme:
- has strong leadership from the Head Teacher/Principal, the senior leadership team and the governing body
- with effective training for staff involved in planning and delivering the careers programme
The school or college must have an effective programme of careers education, enterprise and employability including work-related learning opportunities for students.
Employers as well as further and higher education providers must be involved in the programme to open up and increase students' understanding of a wide range of options, routes and providers of apprenticeships, colleges and universities.
All students must be included in the careers programme.
Schools are also required to demonstrate that their careers programme will:
- educate, prepare and inspire young people as they make decisions about their future learning and work choices
- improve their motivation and aspiration
- develop their career learning skills, knowledge and attributes, and
- increase their understanding of work-based issues such as prejudice, stereo-typing, discrimination and equal-opportunities.
By achieving the externally assessed Quality in Careers Standard parents can be confident that the careers support provided by the school or college will help every student to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to take control of their futures.